Wednesday

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

"Of all the places I've been, this is the one that seems the most like a place a red notebook would take me."

This book pretty much explains itself in the title.  Lily and Dash have a notebook filled with dares.  It's a bit more complicated than that, though.  Lily writes the dares in a notebook and leaves it on the shelf at a used bookstore.  Dash finds it, and follows the instructions in the book, and writes back to Lily.  A quirky relationship ensues with one person writing in the book, and leaving it somewhere for the other to find.  

Authors Cohn and Levithan, of Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist, team up once again for a cute sort of quest tale.  Although unlikely, I did believe it as I read it.  Both Lily and Dash's parents were out of the country for Christmas, leaving them both free to roam their city and follow dares from a red Moleskin.  Their city happens to be NYC, which lends itself well to sort of kitschy Christmas locations and timeless landmarks for Lily and Dash to visit in their quest to get to know, and later meet one another.  

I think I loved Nick and Nora more than Lily and Dash.  But that's not to say I didn't like them and all of their oddities. They each get their own voice, chapter by chapter, which is a device I adore. I also loved the setting, since M and I had been to NYC for New Year.  I could picture the hustle and bustle, the giant Christmas tree, and the dazzling lights around Lily and Dash.  

It's a quick read, so read it and let me know what you think.
♥ Meg xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment