Wednesday

The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus

A novel about Marriage, Motherhood and Mayhem.
By Sonya Sones

This book made me smile, laugh out loud, and tear up. It was witty and very self-aware. It was fresh and different.

"which is when/ I notice that my/ frighteningly King-Kongish posture/ has snuck right back up on me .../ Is this how it all began for her?/ Twenty years from now, am I going to be/ the hunchback of Neiman Marcus?" 

This novel is about an author in the middle of her life. Her seventeen-year-old daughter is about to leave for college 3000 miles away. Her aged mother is sick, and delusional. Her husband is keeping a secret from her about something. Her editor is constantly pestering her to meet her deadline for her book.  The author is plagued by hot flashes and mood swings; she bursts into tears when she sees her neighbour's new daughter and when her husband buys her a new kitten.
  
When I read the summary of this story, it seemed very common to me. I work with a lot of women, and hear many stories which could be found in the pages of this book. 

This book is different though; it is written completely in verse. It is a series of poems with delightful titles and pleasing meter. Sones chooses each word with care, so that a simple collection of words becomes extremely meaningful to the reader. Sones writes about topics that many women deal with everyday, making her struggles and joys relatable. 

I'll be looking up her other titles in the future. I hope that they are as enjoyable to read as this one. 
♥ Meg xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment