Thursday

Cinder

by Marissa Meyer

Cinder is a 16 year old cyborg and mechanic from New Beijing, in the far future. She lives with her evil stepmother and works in the market fixing hover crafts and androids.


"'I just spent my life savings on a new foot. But even if I did have money, why would I spend it on  a dress or shoes or gloves? What a waste.'"

One sweltering day at the market, handsome Prince Kai, son of the dying Emperor and heir to the throne, comes to have a droid repaired.  Hiding her metal hand and visible wires, Cinder flirts with Prince Kai and with a dream.

In a greater scale, New Beijing is being ravaged by a murderous plague. A race of moon-dwellers and brain-washers named "Lunars" are hedging in on Earth, seeking to gain power while Earth is at is weakest.

Alright... I love a good fractured fairy tale or reworking.  This one was creative, futuristic, and... a bit predictable. I mean, in the first chapter, Cinder was going on about how her cyborg foot was ill-fitting and loose. And I called it; she lost her foot instead of a glass slipper. So, there was all this other sci-fi stuff and plague stuff that I didn't see coming. But I called the foot thing.

When the book ended, I actually turned to the next [empty] page. haha. I guess you're supposed to infer the ending for yourself. I don't think there is going to be a sequel . . . So, I guess I didn't like the ending. It did have a cool concept, and great characters though.  What did you think of Cinder?

♥ Meg xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment